The article outlines a step-by-step process for producing a SWOT matrix. The article proposes organizing a standard 2x2 matrix where strengths is the top left field, weaknesses the bottom left, opportunities the top right, and threats the bottom right field.
- Assess strengths. List the target's unique strengths without modesty.
- Assess weaknesses. List the target's organizational weaknesses from a rival's viewpoint.
- Assess opportunities. List the target's areas where there is potential for growth.
- Assess threats. List the environmental and/or competitive threats.
- S-O: Maximize strengths to capitilize on opportunities
- S-T: Use strengths to minimize threats
- W-O: Conquer weaknesses by making the most out of opportunities
- W-T: Minimize weaknesses to avoid threats.