Zahorsky then explains that Best Practices can help a small business by allowing them to...
- Reduce costs
- Avoid mistakes
- Find new ideas
- Improve performance.
In order to apply Best Practices, Zahorksy gives a list of steps to use.
- Identify one business process or service to improve. (Product delivery)
- Look for one metric to measure. (Late Shipment %)
- Find competitors and companies within your industry and outside your industry. (FedEx)
- Collect information on the successful, best practices of other companies. (FedEx spoke and hub system)
- Modify the best practice for your situation. (Have one retail store per city act as central hub for shipments.)
- Implement the process then measure the results.