- The activity simulates the emotions of an actual event which engages participants in the process.
- The fictitious nature of the interaction reduces the psychological stress of a situation which allows shyer people to participate more fully than they might feel free to do in real life.
- Encourages creative solutions.
- Increases insight into another person's point of view.
- It is not a fruitful exercise unless the participants take it seriously.
- Discuss the problem to be portrayed.
- Make sure that the participants are committed to the process.
- Assign roles.
- Act out the situation, responding spontaneously.
- Evaluate the actions of each player.
- Repeat, taking different courses of action if needed.